T L Egan & Co was started by the late Tom Egan in the early 1920′s. The first shop opened on Winthrop St in Cork City but it wasn’t long before the growing business required a larger premises and they moved to Lavitt’s Quay.
The business continued to grow and it wasn’t long before Egans became Corks premier opticians.
In August 1949 the premises was destroyed by fire in what became known as “The Boot & Fox” fire which destroyed almost half the block on which the shop was located. The business was temporarily relocated to Perry St but it wasn’t long before Egans were back on Lavitt’s Quay.
By the mid 1960′s Larry Egan joined his father and continued to expand the business. He introduced Hearing Aids to Egans which has now grown into a highly successful part of the business.
By the late 1980′s having out grown their premises the decision was made to build a customised, dedicated Opticians and Hearing Aid shop. In 1990 the new shop was opened, on Lavitt’s Quay, two doors from the old shop.
Since then Larry Egan has been joined by members of his family including his sons Tom Egan (who now runs the Opticians) and Richard Egan (who oversees the Hearing Aids business). In time, we hope they will introduce their own children to the business and continue the family tradition of service and quality firmly set down by their Grandfather, the first Tom Egan, at the start of the last century.